St Albans High School for Girls (STAHS) opened in a converted hospital on Holywell Hill, St Albans in 1889, one of many similar schools which were being established for the education of girls towards the end of the nineteenth century.
The school transferred to its current site on Townsend Avenue in the heart of the city in 1908, with the Prep School subsequently moving to the village of Wheathampstead just three miles away in 2003. The school maintains close links with the diocese of St Albans through the Bishop and the Dean.
STAHS is a selective, independent day school for girls aged 4-18 years. The school is affiliated to the Church of England and welcomes girls of all faiths or none. There are approximately 310 pupils in the Prep School, 480 girls in the Senior School and 160 Sixth Formers.